Monday, September 8, 2008

Expectations

I wanted to write about some reflections that I have had following some conversations with members of my congregation about what I had said regarding my visit to the Church of the Resurrection in Kansas City. I had stated that my wife and I had gone there to attend the contemporary worship service. Prior to attending I had some expectations about what that service would consist of and was anticipating the service. When I arrived, we found out that the praise band and the minister were not going to be present. Instead there was a very wonderful traditional introit down by the organ and a hymn sing. The music was well done and spirit led though this was not what I had expected or anticipated. At first I was feeling let down, but as always God had a way of saying to me why am I there. Was I there to be entertained or to worship? My expectations gave way to God's message for me in the music, the special music of Twila Paris, and in the sermon. I left feeling uplifted. All of this to show me that sometimes one's expectations and anticipations can so influence us that we fail to open ourselves up to the experience of worship that occurred. I thank God for this experience of praise and grace that I felt.
From my conversations with others, I began to realize that sometimes expectations and anticipation of what is worship can lead one to not be open to the experience of worship and the Spirit of the moment. Having pre-conceived ideas about what a worship experience should be and how it should be organized can interfere with what God's message is to us today. I realized that in this experience I could have walked away feeling so disappointed because the worship wasn't what I thought I wanted rather than being touched by the Spirit. I realized that worship isn't about what I prefer or what I think the service should be, but be about what God prefers and what God wants. I enjoy all types of music both traditional and contemporary. I enjoy emerging worship and liturgical worship. It is not about competition between styles and preferences but about praising God for what God has done for us. Everyone has their own preferences about what makes good worship services. What is important is not making that the sole criteria of one's experiences but to remain open to hearing where God is in this moment. I know that I can continue to love God no matter what style of worship, no matter what music style is done, no matter what order of worship one has. In any worship experience, if I am able to open myself to the Spirit of the Lord, I will be fed. That is what makes diversity of experiences so important. We can have many ways of expressing our joy and praise. I am working on not letting my expectations and preferences so influence me that I do not appreciate how others want to worship. I hope that is true for you also.

No comments: