Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Peace and justice

Tonight I will be reflecting on the fruit of peace that comes from the Spirit. Peace is a word that is so bandied about that sometimes we have lost connection with what that means. Is peace just the absence of war or hostility or is it something else entirely. Actually the words in Greek that denote peace are three. One deals with the inner feeling of calmness and serenity. Another deals with community. The third which is mostly used includes those ideas and also the idea of Shalom.
I have been reading this leadership book on Leadership and Self-deception. It is an interesting book and one that I would recommend to those who want to look at their leadership styles. There are some interesting aspects that deal with our own ethnocentric views that influence what others do and how they perceive one another. I have learned that some of the frustrations that I have had both in past and recent may be more of my issues than others. Concerns of control and people acting in ways of controlling ideas and people, I have always struggled with maybe because of the ways that without knowing I have done the same. The same is true about communication either the lack of or mis-communication that can sabotage the work that we are about. If you want to look at what that might be for you, read the book.
So what does this have to do with peace? Jesus talks about peace in the gospels. Peace would be letting go of my ways and seeking concord or community with the people around me. It means sitting at a common table and sharing from the same bread and cup. Peace helps set up truth not just on the outside but truth in our souls. Also peace is tied with justice. Isa 48.18 states that when justice is done peace will flow like a river. And Isa 32.16-19 states when peace is done justice will grow like a flower.
So in the midst of turmoil, chaos, and anxiety, may God's peace of shalom and justice be with you.

3 comments:

Raymond E. Foster said...

For me, justice is a process, not an outcome. I can work to make processes just, but outcomes, well, like jury trials, there are so many variables. As for peace, I don't think of peace as the absence of violence or strife, but as a time/place where the environment is fertile for growth. I wonder if that makes sense?

Reveldon said...

That makes absolute sense. As the Isaiah passage states that when peace and justice are present growth is sure to follow. I agree that both peace and justice are processes and are maybe never ocmplete in this world. There are many variables but when we concentrate on God's Will there can be more concord with one another.
Eldon

ijoyciga said...

vapeciga,a very good e-cigarette site, There are many types of e-cigarettes in it,such as:Vaporesso is my favorite electronic cigaret, geekvapevivismokeobs