Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blogging to Sunday

If I can borrow the term from Christian Century, I have been thinking about my sermon reflection for next Sunday. I have felt the Spirit pulling me in the direction about the marks of a Christian discipleship. This actually began July 4th in talking about new beginnings. Since then and using the scriptures from the Gospel of Luke, I have decided to preach on the 5 practices of a fruitful congregation that Bishop Schanse wrote about. Last Sunday using the parable of the Good Samaritan, I talked about risk taking mission. This Sunday I will be preaching on Martha and Mary about radical hospitality and what they both can teach us about being hospitable. There are many sermons that can be used in this pericope about what is important, challenging gender stereotypes, etc. But I believe they both point to some important considerations about welcoming and receiving.

Today I also wanted to share with you from a resource I have, "Crazy Book: A Not-So-Stuffy Dictionary of Biblical terms about Martha (p 184-185.) The following is the entry for Martha.
Martha Status: Martha is keeping her nose to the grindstone.
Profile
Profession: Home-maker, busy-body
Hometown: Bethany
Family: Mary (sister) and Lazarus (brother)
Interests: Cooking, hosting
Favorite Celebrity: Martha Stewart
Turn offs: Lazy people, holier-than-thou people, tardy people, clutter
Favorite quote: "Cleanliness is next to godliness." -- an old proverb.

"Have you ever had the feeling that you were doing all the work while others were just lying around doing absolutely nothing? Martha can relate. Luke's Gospel tells about the time that Jesus was welcomed into Martha's home. Also present was Martha's sister, Mary. While Martha was busy with many things--preparing dinner, dusting furniture, stashing clutter in the cabinet drawers--sister Mary just sat there! Just sat there listening to Jesus speak. Martha complained to Jesus: 'Hey! Jesus! I'm working my fingers to the bone here while Miss Ooh-It's-The-Messiah is siting around as usual! What is up with that!?' Jesus' response: 'Chill!' (Or something like that.) As a result, Martha has earned a reputation over the centuries for prefering household tasks to hearing the word of God in person.

Truth be told, we've always been Martha people rather than Mary people. So we're glad when Martha gets her own private audience with Jesus. It happens in the aftermath of the death of her brother, Lazarus. After Lazarus was good and dead and buried, Jesus showed up. While Mary stayed home (wouldn't you know it?), Martha went out to meet Jesus on the road. She was glad to see him, but perhaps also a bit annoyed. 'Hey! Jesus! Had you arrived a few days earlier, you could have healed my brother, and I wouldn't be wearing this black dress!' Here is where Jesus had a good word for Martha (a word that Mary wasn't around to hear): 'I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me even though they die will live....Do you believe this?' And in response, Martha had a pretty good word too.
Key verse: 'Yes, Lord I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world. (John 11:27; see also Luke 10:38-42 and John 11:1-44.)"

I wanted to share the above as we begin to reflect on Martha and Mary. For I believe both women have a lot to teach us in many ways.

No comments: