Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It has been some time since I updated my blog. There have been so many things happening between clergy meetings, church meetings, and charge conferences I have found myself being called to do many different tasks. One celebration is that attending charge conferences both our churches and others allows one a glimpse into how God is alive in our communities. I stand in awe in how rural churches deal with their challenges and continue to provide vital ministry. I also am aware of how important it is to remember our vision and mission as a church. I know that we can sometimes lose sight of what is important in our church's life as well as our own. I received this from Serving Strong and wanted to share it with you.

SS Logo horizontal




A moment just for you
Because you serve others.
Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. (Ephesians 6.10)
October 19, 2010
Today's Discussion
(issue 208)


Falling Quietly

It's Autumn. The trees where I live are putting on their annual fireworks display. This is the time of year when our family shares the phrase, "Mind the trees." One moment they are brilliant reds, oranges, burgundy, and yellows. The next moment they are bare branches shivering in the biting cold wind. We are trying to live in the moment.

As I prepared for this issue, I stopped to watch as a gentle breeze touched the trees. A few leaves fell to the ground slowly...quietly. No fanfare. No noise. No trumpet call. Just quietly covering the ground one leaf at a time.

I saw the following picture and decided to use it because of the phrase printed on it: "falling leaves hide the path so quietly".

Falling Leaves On Path

No one sets out to lose their way. No one wakes up and says, "Let's see, how can I burnout by the end of the day." On the contrary, burnout happens over time. Little by little, as quietly as a falling leaf, unresolved conflicts, little unforgivenesses, a small jealousy here, a little bitterness there... gradually cover the path we are on. Before we know it, we're lost, burned out, disillusioned.

Scripture says in 2 Corinthians 4.16:

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

How have the past several days been for you? Is your path clearly before you? Or have you allowed a few small "leaves" begin to accumulate, making it difficult for you to serve strong?

Take inventory of your leaves. Maybe this week it's time to do some "raking and mulching". Maybe it's time to renew inwardly. I'm going to take that challenge. Will you join me?

No comments: