Monday, May 9, 2011

Yet another Monday

Today being yet another Monday, I am in the preparation for graduation next Sunday.  I am planning on preaching from 1 Timothy 4:1-15.  I remember when I graduated from high school and when I graduated with my Master's degree both in Social Work and as well as Divinity the sense of having completed something and knowing that I was just beginning.

Graduation is like the sense of completing one thing just to be going onto the next.  Sometimes, it seems that we can lose sight of where we have been as we look forward to where we are going.  It is important to remember the foundation of growing years and not lose sight of what is really important.  It is easy to become enamored with the world.  It is also easy to be swayed by our experiences that we have when we leave home.  That is the time that we need to remember our values that we have learned, the gifts God has given, and to trust in that love of Christ.

Last week I quoted some articles about mothers.  This week I will be putting in some quotes about graduation.  Enjoy.

A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that "individuality" is the key to success.  ~Robert Orben
Just about a month from now I'm set adrift, with a diploma for a sail and lots of nerve for oars.  ~Richard Halliburton
There is a good reason they call these ceremonies "commencement exercises."  Graduation is not the end; it's the beginning.  ~Orrin Hatch
Your families are extremely proud of you.  You can't imagine the sense of relief they are experiencing.  This would be a most opportune time to ask for money.  ~Gary Bolding

No comments: