Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wisdom

This Sunday I will be preaching on wisdom using Proverbs 8 as the scripturally foundation.  The Lectionary actually breaks it up to two sections but I am using the entire chapter.  I remember in seminary preaching from this text for class.  What struck me then as well as now, was the importance of wisdom in our lives.

Wisdom is more than just knowledge but has a very practical context.  If one is skilled in some task, one is considered wise.  With our bible study of James and our sermon series of the Jesus Priorities: 8 Essential Habits, I am reminded that we are called to continue to seek out Wisdom wherever she may be found.  Proverbs 8:17 reminds us that if we seek her we will find her.  Also verse 35 states those who find her find life and gain favor from the Lord.

In what way are we seeking wisdom in our lives and in our church?  I would hope that with the summer series, we can seek Lady Wisdom.  If we are going to have life, we need to remember that we don’t have all the answers and that we have to work together with her to find the inspiration that we seek.

No comments: