Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

Today as I think about all that I have to be thankful, it sometimes overwhelms me as to how blessed I am. Not only with my children and their spouses but also with my grandchildren. I am blessed with doing what I love which is to be a servant for a loving God and Savior whose grace not only extends to me but to all people. The Psalmist says to give thanks to the Lord and so should we. I know that as I gather around the table I will bow my head to offer thanks. I will also be in prayers for those that I know and those that I don't know for God's peace and grace to be with them.

I am also reminded that Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent, the anticipation of Jesus' coming and of his birth. For indeed he is the prince of peace, king of kings, wonderful counselor, and messiah. If there is anyway of bringing together people of diverse ideology, ethnic diversity, and even theological differences, it is Jesus. Just as he brought together Samaritans, Pharisees, Sadducee, Gentiles, and even Roman soldiers, so he too can bring together all of us. This time of year is more than family but to remember we are all members of a greater family, brothers and sisters together. So maybe the greatest remembrance is a Black Friday not of consumerism but of sacrifice. The gift we have received, let us share with those around us both in words and deeds.


No comments: