Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Tuesday Musings May 29 2019



                I know that I haven’t been good about writing my musings. There are no excuses. Nancy and I are in the process of packing readying ourselves to move. Jenny mentioned the fact as an active pastor the number of times we have moved seemed to be continuing even in retirement. There have been many factors that have led us to seek a new apartment and we found one near Tranquility Park here in Omaha. So once again we are in the process of downsizing and stacking boxes throughout our apartment. I do hope that we don’t have to do this annually.
                On another note, this is the first annual conference that I am not attending. I have attended AC every year for the last 18 years. There are parts of AC I loved and there were parts that I wondered if this was a colossal waste. The time that we spend is more efficient lately which is an improvement. I have enjoyed the plenary sessions with the opportunity to learn. I also enjoyed the time of meeting with my colleagues. The special services especially the ordination service were spiritually uplifting as was the times of the youth worship service (more so in the past when they actually planned the service during YAC.)
                What held me back from this AC, was the fallout of the special called general conference. I know that we would be electing delegates to attend General Conference in 2020 and I will miss voting for those clergy that would be willing to advocate to undo what was decided. If one thought that what happened in St. Louis would end the debate on inclusion, I would guarantee they are wrong. We will continue to debate whether we are a church with open minds and open doors to all of God’s children. I hope that what some of the leadership of churches who came together to discuss #UMNext might prevail or do we look at the reorganization of the church in three, conservative, progressive, or centralists. Maybe now is the time to seriously look at the splits of the church and instead of the continuous fighting over who is right or not, we accept that an amiable separation may be in the best interests of not just the church but also in the Great Commission. For me, the arguing on who is in and who isn’t, distracts us from the why of church. I feel that the church that I pastored in for the last 18 years and continue to be active in the church has lost its way.
                I needed a break from listening to the same arguments presented to justify their beliefs. There has been no change except the fear of change. Any wonder we are a dying church. And when I say that I know that there is hope as I see churches like the one Nancy and I belong continue to grow and flourish. My fear is that the continued bickering can eventually affect the church distracting it from fulfilling God’s vision of loving. Maybe I am just tired and want to see something else that is worthwhile in living out my faith. I have stated that I worship the Triune God who is living and continuing to call us to God’s purpose. I try not to get up in the legalistic interpretation of the bible which was similar to the Pharisees of old. Rather, using scripture as a guide to God’s Will, I choose to try to live in love that we are all the adopted children of our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.
                For my brothers and sisters in Christ who are attending AC, I will be praying for you. May the Spirit guide you beyond ourselves, to be instruments of love and peace in this world which is in desperate need.
Shalom
Eldon

No comments: