Saturday, May 6, 2023

May 6 2023

 

                My oldest granddaughter was wondering why I haven’t updated my blog for some time. The truth was I didn’t think anyone was reading it. Apparently, she and a friend have been. So, I need to try to be more diligent about writing.

                Looking at my journal, I realized that I had been spending so much time focusing on what is wrong with the world, that I haven’t spent more time thinking about what is right. I have been as bad as the media and the nightly news. Yet, hope is close at hand and is all around us. There are numerous acts of mercy that often go unnoticed. And very few are celebrated. Rarely, they make the front page or opening sound byte of the news. But they do happen. I know that the church that Nancy and I are members of participate in numerous projects both locally and internationally. The church, though in an affluent part of Omaha, reaches out in ways to be the Matthew 25 type of church. I also know of other churches that are equally committed to acts of mercy and of justice.

                What is amazing about our church is that despite differences in one’s political views, we have learned to reach understanding. We can dialog with one another with respect. I feel that we are living out John Wesley’s statement that there be unity in the essentials and diversity in all else.  So, what is essential not just for us but for everyone. Micah 6:8 says, “But he’s already made it plain how to live and what to do, what God is looking for in us. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbors, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don’t take yourself too seriously- take God seriously. (The Message Micah 6:8).

                So, who are our neighbors? Jesus answered that question in the gospel of Luke in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Essentially, all are our neighbors. Jesus also stated that two most important (hence essential) are to Love God with everything we have and to love our neighbor as ourselves. This is what Wesley preached and talked about. Why do we feel that we need to make more complicated than that?

                Can one imagine what the world would look like if we would live this out? How this might effect the way we choose to relate to one another. Would politics take one more concern for others? This does not mean that we all have to agree on what we need to do, but it could lead to discussion rather than denigrate those who disagree with us. Stephen Covey in his book, “The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People”, points out that one should first seek to understand the other and then to express our views.

                Keeping in mind Micah 6:8 and Jesus’ command, all I can say is wow. The rub is that I would need to work on myself and be willing to listen to others that I might disagree with and be willing to change. That is the challenge for me and for the reader.

No comments: