Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fear of what to say

There have often been times in my life that I am uncertain of what to say or what to do in different situations. I sometimes feel that I should have all the answers when those around me have all these questions. I know that feeling is irrational but I sometimes want to be able to help others so much that if I don't know the answer I feel inadequate. This can happen especially when trying to confront injustices and standing up for those who are marginalized in our world. Thank God that I am surrounded by family, friends, and colleagues who can support and help me be able to find the strength and means of being faithful to God.
It is also comforting to go to scriptures. This Sunday in the lectionary Jeremiah 1:4-10 is one of the scriptures. Jeremiah has been called by God to go forth and be His prophet. Jeremiah is only a young boy and felt inadequate to do what God wanted. God says to him "Do not say, 'I am only a boy,' for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord. Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, Now I have put my words in your mouth."
For everyone of us, preachers and laity, we need to remember that God has called each of us to do God's purposes. I know that I cannot even comprehend speaking for God unless God puts the world in my mouth through the Holy Spirit. And it is not in just words that God acts but in my actions and well as others. So when I have concerns and doubts, I need to spend time with God. Scripture states that the Lord hears us when we call out. And it is in God we can find peace and rest (Psalm 4). I trust that the Lord will guide me and direct me in my life.

No comments: