Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Shouting from the rooftop

Sunday I preached from Matthew 10:24-39. I wanted to help remind all of us as to what are we here for and why we are so hesitant to proclaim that. I used the song from "The Sound of Music, These are some of my favorite things." I asked the people gathered to write down and share some of their favorite things that make life worthwhile. Several responded with family, friends, sunsets and sunrises, vacations, gardening, etc. I then asked what were some of their favorite things about church. The responses were an extended family, caring, support, music, worship, communion, fellowship, bible studies. Last I asked what are some of their favorite things about being a Christian. Responses included peace, assurance, healing, grace, forgiveness.
I had used an article found in Homiletics to help with this idea. I wanted to make the point that too often many think of Christians as stoic, unemotional, stiff, and judgmental people. It seems that when we look at what Jesus was saying that we are to be a people shouting the glory of what we responded in our favorite things and being willing to share that with others. Jesus also reminded us even when we share the good news not everyone will be pleased to hear it. In fact, many will respond with anger, condemnation, and criticism. It is amazing that people will respond negatively to God's grace that is extending to them. Maybe it is because of the way we have presented grace to others or have not extended grace.
In our bible study of Matthew, we were studying Matthew 8:1-13. The scripture is about two healings that Jesus did for a leper and a centurion. Both involved stepping out of the box based on the culture of that time. One was actually touching someone who was excluded from the community and judged to be unclean. The very act of touching such a person would make yourself unclean and you would be excluded from church, family and community. The other was healing a pagan or gentile who was not included in the church family. We discussed how important it is for us to be willing to risk reaching out to those who are not part of the community and may today be the new lepers. That if our message of God's love and grace holds any credibility, we need to put our faith in action. So to speak shouting from the rooftop.
My challenge for myself and maybe for the readers is how am I willing to risk proclaiming and acting my faith.

No comments: