Thursday, April 15, 2010

Choices Choices Choices 2

Last night at our Wednesday service, I reflected on the scripture in John 21. As I contemplate the choices that I am making in my life the question arises as to how do I make the best choice that I can. This chapter in the Gospel of John whether written or not by the original author is immaterial to what was being said. Following the two appearances of Jesus with the disciples, Peter decided to go fishing. Whether it was a means of trying to deal with the emotional turmoil of the past week and taking a breath or he and the rest of the disciples returned to their normal work, we don't know. We just know they went fishing.

I know that in my life I have experienced the roller coaster of feelings maybe not to the same extent as the disciples. When I am caught up in exuberant joy, grief, fear, uncertainty, anxiety, and even depression, there comes a time that I need a break. For me it is not fishing. For me it is a quiet place somewhere outdoors away from as much noise and busyness that I can find. It is at that time I feel most renewed and am able to go forward. I reflect on the beginning of Jesus' ministry where he spent 40 days in the wilderness. There are times that I can empathize with the need to reflect on what we are called to do.

So regardless of why the disciples went fishing, they were unable to catch any fish until Jesus appeared on the shore and told them to let down their nets. The story reminds of the synoptic gospels story of the call of the disciples in a similar fashion. Then and only then were the disciples able to catch not just some fish but an abudance of fish.

We too need Christ in our lives and in our choices for us to live abundantly with what God calls us to do. No church, committee, or person will be as successful and effective if we do not take time to listen to what Christ is calling us to do. No advertising campaign, no marketing will take the place of Jesus. Rather than being concerned of what is in it for me, I need to remember that I do what I do for the glory of my Creator. That is true for not just as a pastor, but even when I go out fishing.

No comments: