Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mountain top experiences

matthew_17.1-9_41_transf_720x540When I was young I enjoyed the times that I could climb up a side of a mountain.  I realize that for me any hill could be a mountain.  There was something about climbing up and being able to look down that formed a new perspective.  One time my parents and I went to Pikes Peak CO.  The journey up was by the small gauge train.  It was beautiful as we ascended to the top of Pikes Peak.  The day we went it was clear and one could see almost forever.  I could only imagine what those who were at the bottom were doing as one could not distinguish any of them. I remember that I was disappointed that by the afternoon it was time to return to the base of the mountain.  But for that period of time there was an exhilaration of the moment.

This Sunday I will be preaching on another mountain top experience.  Jesus after six days when he first announced that he was going to Jerusalem to be put to death, took Peter, James and John up on a mountain.  According Matthew it was there that the transfiguration occurred.  Sometimes we spend so much time on trying to figure out which mountain and the accuracy of the historical basis that we lose sight of the point that Matthew is trying to make.  If we go back to Exodus, Moses took Aaron and Joshua up on a mountain.  The reference of six days was also found in Exodus.  Moses’ face was also transfigured when he was in the presence of God.  From the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus stated that he was not doing away with the Torah and the Prophets but is the fulfillment.  So when the disciples see Jesus with Moses and Elijah, we see the fulfillment of the law and prophecies.  For the only one left and the one God speaks to the disciples is Jesus, His beloved Son.  The final statement was to listen and do what he says.

We need to remember as we approach the season of Lent, that we cannot stay on top of the mountain.  We all have at differing times mountain top experiences that help us develop new perspectives.  We cannot stay there but must come down and do what Jesus asks.  This Lent I would call to all readers to take time to have a mountain top experience in Christ and then come down to share with others. 

No comments: