Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday 2011

I am sitting here at home preparing for a memorial service tomorrow, Easter this Sunday, and will be in the Living Last Supper tonight.  Last night we did a Maundy Thursday service with about 50 people present.  We started with a lite supper and had communion with unleavened bread.  We proceeded into the sanctuary where we did a modified stations of the cross with scripture and extinguishing of the light.  We nailed our sins to the cross as part of the service.

I am not sure about others but I find that I need to remember that one does not go directly from Palm Sunday to Easter morning.  I need to remember the passion of Christ and what he choose to do for me.  The scriptures that speak about this are the suffering servant scriptures found in Isaiah.  Christ endured torture, humiliation, pain, and even death for me.  One of the reflections I had was when Jesus told his disciples that no greater love can one have than to lay down their life for another.  He did this for me and for you.

Let us not forget what Jesus did.  Passion week is a reminder for all of us.  This is more than Easter egg hunts, Easter lilies, the Easter bunny.  It is about our Lord nailed to a cross, who dies and is buried.  We also know that is not the end of the story.  Thanks be to God.

No comments: