Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 January 1

So today starts a new year.  It has been quite the eventful year.  I was watching television prior to the Nebraska game and there was a commercial that stated that rather than this being a day for making resolutions it be a day of commitments to have a healthier life.  Which was ironic, as I have been fighting a sinus infection that has lasted two weeks.  Yet the idea of commitment appeals to me.  I would see it not a physical healthier life but a  spiritual one as well.  Maybe that is why we committed to doing something different with our Sunday 5 pm service.  The focus is on living our faith with purpose.

What if all of us would live our lives with some sense of purpose knowing that we are chosen by God.  Would we live differently if we really believed and acted on that belief?  I would like to think so.  I have seen this year examples of acting for a higher purpose.  I was so disappointed by the election ads for both parties that seemed to exemplify what is wrong in our nation.  Just as my cynicism reached the heights, God showed that what we focused on through the media is not what our country is about.  During the fires this summer, I saw communities put aside differences (no concern about red cups or blue cups) and come together for the greater good.

I pray that this year we can find more that we have in common and focus on the greater good of our nation and our communities.  This is the destiny that our Lord Jesus would want.  Let’s hold each other accountable for the common good of Loving God and Loving Neighbor.

No comments: