Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013 January 9

Last night I was working on Sunday services focusing on the Baptism of Jesus and also the pericope from Isaiah.  What caused me to stop and reflect on what these two are saying to me, I was struck with what God said after Jesus was praying. From Luke 3:22, “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”  What if every time we come to the table of grace to receive the sacrament of communion we were able to hear that we are the son and daughter whom God loves and that God is well pleased.  No matter what we have done, no matter where we are in life, no matter what we feel about ourselves and our worthiness, God loves us and wants to be pleased with us.

The passage in Isaiah talks about the calling home of the exiles.  Previously God listed the wrongs of the people and despite that still loves them and will bring them home.  They will cross through the water and through fire but God will protect and be with them.  Despite their disobedience their sin God still cares for them.

How would our lives be transformed, if we would accept the idea that God loves us as we are?  Would we want to choose better in our lives?  As we struggle with our sins, our lives, our frustrations, our doubts, I know that I need to hear the encouragement that I am not alone and that God is there to be with me.

This Sunday we will be remembering our baptism and receiving communion.  Open our hearts to God’s call in our lives and know we are beloved.

No comments: