Friday, April 5, 2019

Tuesday Musing a month later on a Friday April 5th 2019


It has been awhile since I have written. It is interesting how time slips by even when one is retired. There have been some issues that I have helped with for the conference and have been facilitating a small group bible study with our life group. Also have had a couple of weeks of being under the weather with this transition between winter and spring. I am also going to be preaching on Maundy Thursday for Water’s Edge and am in the process of working on my sermon. I never noticed how when one is preparing sermons on a weekly basis the effort to plan for maybe 2-3 sermons a year seems to take more effort.
                I wanted to share with you some insights that I came across reading an old journal that I wrote while in seminary. I and several students did an immersive experience with the Pueblo Indians in New Mexico. I had written about this several years ago but was struck as I reread the notes that I took. At that time which was about 2003, there was a main controversy between the NM board of education and the tribe leaders about teaching children their native language as part of the curriculum.  At issue was the idea that denying access to the tribe’s language was creating issues with cultural identity.
                The concern dates back to the previous century when Native American children were forcibly put into Anglo schools without concern about teaching anything about their people and their culture. The idea was to assimilate these children into the White predominate culture. This was supposedly for their own good. This was done despite the fact that the reservations were supposed to be separate nations within the USA. Later studies have shown that when one denies the culture of a people there several negative consequences that affect the people. The tribes in NM were trying to make changes to help reinstate a sense of pride in the culture of the people. This was at that time heading to the State Supreme Court and possible to the SCOTUS.
                What I was noting was that the power of language can indeed shape the culture that we live. The question that arises is does language shape culture or does culture shape the language? It is almost the chicken and egg argument. Regardless, I have seen culture being changed and the language, rhetoric, and discourse supporting that change. I see it prevalent in our society, our government, and even in our churches. I find much of the church discourses, that seem to be the most vocal, run counter to the messages of Jesus. There seems to be a return to language of legalism, exclusion, and dogma of church rules. There is some counter-cultural language to these concerns but is disorganized and demonized by the others. There is also silence or collusion to avoid conflict in this discord. Much of this stems from whether to accept LGBTQIA+ as fully in communion with the church. The arguments against inclusion almost never quote the gospels but quote Leviticus, some of Paul’s comments, and many misreading of other epistles of the Christian scripture. Again, I see the parsing of words and language that is shaping the gospel message of love to one of condemnation. My prayer is that the voice of the good news will eventually prevail.
                On another note, I wanted to share a prayer that I wrote in 2007 as I was in the process of going to a new appointment. I also wrote what I thought God might replay. Here it is.
Dear God
                I thank you for what you have given me in my passions and in my talents. Even though I often take them for granted. There are times, I move in my own rhythm and forget to open a moment with you. Forgive me when I become self-centered and arrogant. Curb my tongue when I speak harshly of others.
                I ask for your special mercy in areas of my life mostly my shadow life that lives opposite of what you desire for me. At times, it seems so strong that overwhelms my desire to live according to what you will. I continue to hold onto trying to control rather than surrendering to you.
                Guide me in ways that lead me to life. To not hide in the shadow anymore. To strengthen me. Look to my family and you know how important they are. Heal the hurts I have caused by my life with them and others. I pray this in Jesus’ name.
And here is the response that came to me.
Dear Eldon
                Do you not believe I love you. That even when you turn away, I am there waiting. It does pain me that you won’t let go of these petty problems but hang on to them. Did not I make you in the likeness of my spirit? I will support you in what you do. I will bring healing to you and those you love and those around you.
                Are you willing to let me into your life? To take time to check in? Be diligent. Practice the means of grace that you have. No more just mouthing the words but put them into action. Even when you struggle, I will love you. Nothing you do will separate me from you.
God

No comments: