Friday, April 12, 2019

Tuesday Musings April 12 2019


                It is a cold and windy Friday as I write. Nebraska has continued to be the brunt of several winter storms in this April. It is a reminder of the climate changes that are occurring throughout the world that affects the weather in our nation. From strong storms that produce a foot or more of snow in the plains, to tornados, high winds, and thunderstorms, all in the same state. On top of that, we are fast approaching Holy Week which begins Sunday of this week. As I am preparing a sermon for Maundy Thursday, I am reminded of the impending storms that Jesus experienced in that week leading to Good Friday and the exultation of Easter Sunday.
                I have found that a resource that I have used as a pastor both in sermon preparations as well as bible studies has been “The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus’ Final Days in Jerusalem,” by Marcus Borg and John Crossan. What has always intrigued me, is the roller coaster of emotions that occurred during that week. We go from the triumphant parade on Palm Sunday, to cleansing of the temple, to the challenges and teachings during the week, to the upper room, and to the betrayal and crucifixion. The scriptures present each day of the week that ultimately acts as the impending train wreck for not only Jesus but also for his followers.
                I know that some people’s lives one can see the impending train wreck that can happen. Whether it be due to illness, depression, addictions, relationships, or grief, one can almost see what might happen. I saw that when I was counseling families and individuals. Despite where their issues were leading them, they almost seemed to be impossible to stop. But like what was happening and the seemingly end of Holy Week, that was not the final answer. For every Good Friday, for every low point in anyone’s life that traversing of the valley of death, there is an Easter. The Good Fridays of our lives are not the final answer. Yet, I also believe that we do need to travel through those valleys so that we can experience the other side. If we are willing to work through whatever we are dealing with, there is another Easter that can renew and restore us. It is a difficult time and journey, but we are not alone. Just as the disciples who denied and ran away, they were able to experience the risen Christ, but they needed each other. We need each other so that we don’t have to traverse the difficult times on our own.
                For me, that is the power of Holy Week and Easter. That no matter what I face in life, I am not alone. I know that the Holy Spirit surrounds me as does my community of faith. I would encourage all of us to not skip over all of the Holy Week to go from Palm Sunday to Easter, but to take time to read the gospels of that time and to attend services that are offered during the week. May this time of year be a time for us to remember, renew, and to find new meaning for us.
Shalom
Eldon

No comments: