Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am always amazed in how God works in our lives. We are starting the One Month to Live challenge at our church. If you have not had the opportunity to read the One Month to Live: 30 Days to change your life I would highly recommend it. I had done a sermon series on our Wednesday services. As a result many of the people who attended began to read the book and found it helpful in their faith journey. In fact it is from that we are now doing the challenge study.

As I was looking at this, I received my Serving Strong email which I will copy here. It deals with what legacy are we leaving. It fits exactly with what we talked about in One Month to Live.
Serving Strong eNews
A Tuesday morning minute just for you because you care for others.
Six Feet

I've been reading a book by Leonard Sweet entitled 11: Indispensible Relationships You Can't Be Without. A phrase from that book has jumped off the pages and into my life:

"Live as if today was your last day."

When I'm coaching a client, one of the first things we do is make an assessment of the current state of things. We end up with a big picture perspective before the client's plan takes shape.

Six Foot Assessment

There is a different assessment. It requires a journey forward in time and then looking back. I call it a "Six Foot Assessment". When our bodies are 6 feet under the earth, time has run out. So, while traveling above the ground here are a few questions to ask:

- What will be my legacy?
- How will I be remembered?
- What will I have accomplished?
- For what will I be known?

Live as if today was your last. Make your own "Six Foot Assessment". Then align your decisions and choices accordingly. Remember, burning out prematurely is not an option. If you take this exercise seriously, it will have an impact on the depth and duration of your service.

I'll "see" you right here next week.

The questions are pertinent to our lives. Today reflect on what is your legacy, how will you be remembered, what will you accomplish and what will you be known for. Today is the day to take this and move with it. None of us know how long we have. Rather than put off today something you have been thinking about, what prevents from doing it now.

No comments: