Thursday, April 2, 2009

Last night at our communion service we reflected on Good Friday and the betrayal of not just Judas but also the rest of the disciples. We discussed whether the betrayal of a person who betrays a person for their own gain is any worse than the betrayal of someone who supposedly is a friend and believes in you. We discussed that being betrayed by someone who loves you and is a friend hurts more and at times is more difficult to forgive. What made this most poignant was Peter's insistence that he would follow Jesus to jail or even to the cross.

Jesus states, "Simon, Simon listen! Satan had demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers. And he said to him, 'Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death!' Jesus said, I tell you Peter, the cock will not crow this day, until you have denied three times that you know me (Luke 29:31-34)."

We have all been in the same situations of Peter where we have denied Christ in our lives. Whether that be for our gain or by choice of fear or even by not doing what we know we should do. Yet even in this passage is a strong message of hope. Jesus does continue to pray for us and gives us the opportunity to turn back and to receive forgiveness. Thanks be to God! No matter what we have done now is the time to turn back which is what repentance means.

I also wanted to share a prayer that I read in Disciplines. This is based on the Serenity Prayer. God grant me the humility to accept when I don't get it, the freedom to laugh when I do, and the wisdom to keep my mouth shut otherwise. Amen.

No comments: