Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Apostle's Creed

For our Wednesday service, I have been focusing on the Apostle's Creed for Today that is by Justo Gonzalez one of my favorite theologians. We are taking each phrase and looking at not only the historical perspective but what they may have to say to us in the 21st century. I have found that reflecting on this creed during Lent as been extremely insightful and I hope have caused those who have attended to examine themselves. Tonight we will be talking about I believe in Jesus Christ our Lord.

I thought I would share a definition of creed from Crazy Talk. Creed not to be confused with the boxer who pummeled Rocky Balboa, a personal statement of belief, written by someone else, for use in pummeling heretics.
Related to the Latin word credo, which means "I believe," a creed can refer either on one's personal beliefs or to an official summary of Christian beliefs, often available in pseudopoetic form. The Apostle's, the Nicene, and the Athanasian creeds were hammered out in the early ecumenical councils of the church. While they do give voice to official teachings of the faith, the church is not at its best when it persecutes people who believe things counter to the creeds.

I believe that important aspect of creeds are that they have been developed through tradition as people had time to reflect on scripture but are not found directly in scripture. Most creeds arose to deal with heretical beliefs. They are important to reflect on in our lives today with the understanding that, at least for me, scripture takes precedent to the man-made, God inspired creeds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Appreciation for the data. Done well!