Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday musings

I wanted to reflect on the Isaiah text but first I have been thinking about my blog and why I am doing this. I have found that being able to write down my thoughts not only about scripture which helps my sermon but also helps me to reflect on other ideas about differing thoughts. Whether others can share with what I am stating, I would hope so. In that vein, I am going to do some reflecting on scripture during the week and on Saturdays share some quips or other random thoughts.

Let's talk about the Isaiah text. To start we need to put the text in context. First Isaiah is a priest who is doing his priestly duties. Judah had experienced the death of their king on earth Uzziah. Uzziah was a king that started out doing God's will but ended up not following through. How long after his death that this event occurred we do not know. What we can tell is that Isaiah the priest is not in the least expecting to encounter God. And even whether or not he was in the temple can not be determined though in my reading I find interesting that he was in the temple. The first thing that strikes me is that we can go about in our work in the church or in worship and if we are not willing to be aware of the presence of God we go home having done our duty. So what would it be like to have God break through our expectations.
Isaiah had a vision that so overwhelmed him that time stood still. I know that there have been occasions in my life that time seemed to stand still. Many reported that 9/11 was such an event. I have found that Haiti is a moment for me as I watch the devastation and the number of miracles that have occurred. I pray for those who have died and those who have had loved ones die. I see that presence of God in the outpouring of people's responses. In tragedies it is easier to see God's work but what about in the day to day living? Does it take a tragedy to respond to God's call. Isaiah points out that it can be in both where God can call us.

The call of God originates by our creator. Our response to God is our choice. Isaiah in having this vision realizes to the extent that he is unworthy for responding to this call even though he is a priest and comes from the priestly clan the Levites. He reminds us all that none of us are worthy of God's call but God continues to call to us. What we can do we do only though the grace of God. His response comes from the awareness of God's power and the need of those around him. He is willing to do this for the glory of God even though many will not respond to his message and in fact will chastise him for his prophetic message. Jesus also was chastized for his message of Love and caring for others. Even today many people who profess belief in Christ and scripture continue to preach hate, measure success by our possessions, and focus more on their rights than to reach in love to their neighbors.

Where the hope and grace is, comes about during tragedies which break through harden hearts. Where the need of others is so overwhelming that one cannot but help respond. My prayer is that we do not forget that we are all brothers and sisters together and need to care for each other long after this tragedy becomes back page news. Then we are responding to the call of our Lord and Creator.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, people each time manufacture comments when anything is predicted to take place in 2012, like “obviously that is if the world is hush here.” You do realize that the Mayans prognosticate the creation will finish on Dec. 21 (or 23rd)? So in all strong if anything is going to encounter in 2012 there is only the slimmest chance that the everybody hand down have ended before it happens.
[url=http://2012earth.net/stop_frighten.html
]planetery ascension december 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012