Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reflections on Matthew 16:13-23

I had proposed the question as to Peter’s response to Jesus’ question as to who Jesus is.  I want to add something to the first question that Jesus asked.  He said who do others think I am?  That is a legitimate question.  I remember as I was growing up, my parents telling me not to do things “because what would the neighbors think.”  How one measured up to others opinions was important to them and also to me.  Not that I would always be concerned about others opinions but I do believe that as John Wesley would say, “Do no harm and do all the good you can.” 

As a therapist, I know what can happened when someone is labeled either a trouble-maker, difficult to get along with, slow, stupid, an idiot.  One can be labeled enough that soon one begins to believe what others say.  At the same time if one does things in such a way as to create other’s opinions, that too can influence what one can do or not do.

Today we are encouraged to only think of ourselves and not to worry about what other people may think about us.  So the reputation that one has often catches people be surprise.  It is as if a person has blinders on that prevent them from truly seeing themselves as others see them.  This applies to individuals and families but it also applies to churches and other organizations.

We have been doing a survey among ourselves as to what we think we are known for.  I have not seen the results of those surveys and I am looking forward to seeing them.  Maybe if we really wanted to find out what we are known for we should ask non-members of our church to get a better view.  I would pray that there would be enough similarities between our internal and external survey.  But it may get more of an answer as to how do others see us.

No comments: