Monday, August 15, 2011

Who do you say I am

I was attending a church in Nashville yesterday and was reminded how important it is to use technology to reach and to receive feedback from people.  The church I attended is a church in transition.  At one time a very vibrant ministry that today is dying.  They are looking at the changes that have occurred in their neighborhood and have decided to do something about it.  Their mission statement is to make disciples of Jesus Christ by modeling Jesus.  Their vision statement is to do this by loving our neighbors.  It reminded me as I entered the building of my home church.  I could not go 5 feet without someone coming up and introducing themselves and taking me to introduce me to others.  They certainly were a welcoming community.

Part of their struggle is that they are an elderly congregation.  Yet, they have not given up.  They have a new young pastor who has been there 7 weeks.  He has  brought the idea of web sites, pod casts, and developing an alternative service.  The congregation has been supporting this wholeheartedly.  They know that even though the foundation of Jesus Christ as savior has not changed, the way we can speak the message can change.

This leads me to remember that Jesus often used what appeared to be radical ideas to convey the Kingdom.  Today Jesus might employ our technology to reach those who are in need of hearing God’s mercy, love, and grace.

When I return from vacation, I will be using the scripture from Matthew 16:13-20.   Jesus asks two important questions.  The first is “Who do others say I am?”  The second question is “Who do you say I am?”  So readers I would ask you today, who do you say Jesus is?

Let me know what you are thinking.

Blessings

No comments: