Saturday, November 3, 2007

Reflections on our society

I wanted to write about some thoughts that I have had. I awoke at 3:30 am with these thoughts going through my head. I hope that you will hang in there with me as I put down in words what I was dreaming and reflecting on.
Over the last few weeks, we have been inundated with article after article about terrorism, homosexuality, and abortion. Whether it is statements from a so-called church in Kansas to articles from candidates, and from the news media. It would seem that if we believed all that everyone says we are doomed as a nation for any or all of these issues. I personally believe all the issues are important to spend time reflecting and even debating about. But in my reading of scriptures both Hebrew and Christian what will be the destruction of our nation will not depend on those issues but rather on the issues of how we treat one another.
Starting in the Torah especially in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, continuing in the books of history, the books of Wisdom, and the prophets, and continuing in the gospels and Paul's letters, God has continually stated that a nation will be held in judgment on how the people treat the orphans, the widows and the "aliens" among us. Certainly there are scriptures that speak to the issues of homosexuality and abortion but they are few and far between compared to God speaking about how we treat one another.
It was set up that the people were to make sure that there was enough to eat for those who are marginalized in the world. It not only applied to the citizens of the nation but to all the people as demonstrated by Jesus and the Syria-Phoenician woman. Jesus in the gospel of Matthew Chapter 25 speaks to how we treat the least of those around us is in actuality the way we treat Jesus. Jesus presents the way God intends for us to live. Ensuring that all people have enough to eat, have the ability to be healed, the ability to have shelter, and even though not stated the ability to receive education. How we live out this scriptural mandate will determine whether or not others will destroy our nation whether by terrorists or hate mongers who live in this country.
As I look at the fall of the mighty empires in the past, it is almost always due to their not caring for those who live in their care. Think about Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Europe, Germany, France, Russia all of these great nations began to fall apart because those in power sought to exploit others to become wealthier and gain more power. The question becomes what are we supposed to do as Christians, Jews, Muslims, and all the other faiths.
I don't see either of our political parties being an answer to this issue. The republican candidates are spending most of their time trying to out-conservative each other. The democrat candidates seem to be caught up in their platitudes and easy answers to complex questions. I personally do not believe that our government has an answer to the care of all its citizens and especially for those outside our nation. John Wesley mentioned that as methodists we are to treat the world as our parish. I believe our hope in changing this world lies in communities of faith. We need to step forward and begin to ethically act in the way God has demonstrated in the scriptures. Our government needs to make sure that we are safe and secure to be able to accomplish this. We need to be held accountable about what we do with the resources that we have been blessed. I do not believe it is only those who are wealthy that bear the burden but we all do.
My ideal naive as it may be would be that churches, synagogues, temples would come together sharing their resources to ensure that those who need food, health care, education, spiritual support would have access to that. There have been many attempts to do that but I believe rather than individual giving it should come from the budgets of the religious institutions. At the time of the early Christians, that is how they survived. They could not depend on Rome but could depend on each other. I would ask for those who read this blog to reflect on what I have said whether you agree or not. Let us work together in ways that we can debate, discuss, and ultimately act in the way God calls us.
I am done and will not step off my soapbox. I wanted to share what keeps me up at night not only for others to comtemplate but also to release what has been given to me.

No comments: