Saturday, November 17, 2007

Stewardship

I have been doing a series of sermons on stewardship using ideas from Logos productions Stewardship of Bread. This Sunday is our commitment Sunday where we with reflection and prayer bring our commitments to fund our ministries. With our bible study of Leviticus and with preparation on these sermons, I have become more aware of my need to make decisions regarding the resources that I have and how am I sharing those with those in need. I have been preaching about planting seeds and harvesting the fruit of those seeds, making them into mission ministry, and sharing with those around us in our community. I have also been reflecting on the bigger question of stewardship and sacrifice.
Today the leading scientists have stated that the world is growing warmer at a more rapid pace that what was first believed. They are beginning to look at the consequences of that global warming and how it will affect not only the animal kingdom but also humans. We have towns now in the United States that have no water and are dependent on piping water from other areas to be able to drink, wash, and to use for toilets. What happens if where they are going to get their water also run out of water. What will happen in Western Nebraska when they finally drain the Ogallala Aquifer? These are not some far off future events but are occurring in the present or in the next 10-15 years. What are we to do?
Stewardship means making informed and ethical decisions not only for what is best for us but what is best for those who will follow us. I am fearful that if we wait until the major crisis comes we will not be able to reverse what is happening. My concern is that our government is crisis oriented and takes so long to reach a decision that it will be too late. Maybe I am a doomsayer and completely wrong but the concern of how we do things no matter what needs to be rethought.
One part of the sharing part of stewardship involves feeding others who are effected by the droughts in the world here and abroad. Feed my starving Children (www.fmsc.org) figures to feed 5000 a nutritious meal would cost about 15 cents a meal or about $750. Here in Omaha to make a bag lunch for people would cost about 70 cents a meal or feeding 5000 would be $3500. I believe as we take part in mission work through our contributions and our time we become more aware of other ways we can be more willing to share what we have.
I believe I have been rambling enough. As we approach Thanksgiving, I would ask that everyone remember to thank God what they have been blessed with and to share with those around them. Also to remember that God created all that is and we are responsible to care for it.

No comments: