Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

I want to first wish everyone who reads my blog a happy thanksgiving. I pray that it is a time of family fellowship, reflection, and remembering all the blessings that we have received. I know that Nancy and I will be enjoying a quiet day to ourselves this Thanksgiving and will be seeing our kids this weekend.
I wanted to share with you something that I call one of those "God moments." At our bible study Monday night, we are continuing to study Leviticus. As we were discussing what we can discern from the scripture, someone asked me for my opinion about something and stated "What did they tell at your cemetery?" We all had a chuckle about the slip of the tongue. But as I had time to reflect on that statement, I realized that there was a great deal of truth in what was said. I value my experiences at seminary. I learned a lot about differing ways of understanding church history, understanding about doctrines, and scripture. I have grown a great deal spiritually from my experiences. Though as I reflected on that statement and as I was planning a funeral service the next day, I realized that the foundation of my beliefs was not at seminary but at the cemetery.
It is at the cemetery, at the tomb, and at the empty tomb that I believe our foundation of belief and faith arises. It is there I find the most hope to be able to do what I do. Without that I feel that whatever we decide has less meaning then going about sharing the hope of Christ and God's love and mercy with those we meet. As we approach Advent and Christmas, I believe it is important to remember not just Christ's birth or what I may get but rather what God gave us. For that I give all my thanksgiving to God this holiday.
I pray that everyone experiences one or more of these "God moments" in their life this time of year. I invite you to share those with the people around and even share here.
God be with you this day and everyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I listened attentively at the Thanksgiving service with our Catholic friends, I too, thought there must be more we of like minds can do together. It certainly was interesting to see the Gospel of Matthew supported by the stories we have been studying in Leviticus. It's not often that the relationships between old & new testament stories are so evident. I am thankful for the Monday night bible study, in that it gives us all, regardless of our familiarity with the bible, a chance to interact, reflect and increase our understanding of the bible & it's impact for our lives today. I am also thankful for your leadership in the study, Eldon, as we can often times stray from our path of study & you have, for the most part, the ability to bring us back. I agree wholeheartedly that the place where we encounter the most meaningful relationship is at the tomb. Christ knowingly made that magnificent sacrifice for us. God knowingly placed His Son in that situation for us. There can be nothing more meaningful in our lives to be thankful for than those sacrifices. Thanks be.....