Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Silver linings

I remember the saying that every cloud has a silver lining. While that is a nice thought sometimes one might wonder what the silver lining is during difficult times. I have wondered myself at times what God is trying to convey to me when I encounter issues either personal or at other times. It is easy to get caught up in the turmoil of the situation and become very reactive and defensive when something or someone does or says something. That is when I need the peace of Christ the most. I need to process, pray, talk to God and others about what is happening to help get some idea of where I am and what am I really reacting to. I need to recognize that there are some things that I can do something about and other times that I cannot do anything and need to release it to God. It is that serenity prayer thing.

What can be a silver lining in those times that I do not have control, may be what are my priorities. Worrying about everything that happens does not do anyone good. What Jesus says in Matthew 6 does worry add one day to one's life. Actually it takes away from living. So when things happen of which I cannot control is a reminder that I need to depend more on God and less on pleasing other people. I need to deal with my integrity with my Savior and not compromise to just keep the peace. I need to remember the vision that God has given me and to continue to act in such a way to make the vision a reality.

That indeed is the silver lining in the storm clouds of life. Reminders of who really is in control and to allow God in my life.

No comments: