Monday, August 3, 2009

Bread of life

Ah Mondays. I have survived another Sarpy County fair. Actually it was not survival but was a lot of fun. Unfortunately a former secretary that I had worked with and was my same age died last week. I was able to go administer communion and to pray over her prior to her transition to the next life. Fair week was also wonderful regarding weather and being unseasonably cool. We have a food booth and we collected the most that we have ever made at least in recent history. It will mean a boost to our ministries that we have and I thank God for those who volunteer their time and talent to making that happen.

For the past 21 years our church has been responsible for the Sunday service at the fair. I have decided to do a sermon series based on John 6 about the Bread of life. Sunday was the first of those sermons about, "What are you really hungry for?". As part of the service we had several volunteers make mini loaves of bread that people could take home with them following the service. We offer open communion to all present as that is part of the United Methodist tradition. We had an attendance of over 180 which is great for that service and we had over 250 loaves of bread. It reminds me how when Jesus asked Peter how should we feed the 5000, that we have to look beyond what we don't have and focus on what we do have. In the sharing and in allowing the Holy Spirit to work, we are able to deal in abundance not scarcity. What am I hungry for more of Christ in me. Dear reader what are you hungry for? Are you open to the Spirit to be the bread of life in your life today?

1 comment:

Sherry Nolte said...

Beautiful!