Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday morning reflections

Even though Sunday is the start of the week, I have always felt and particularly since being a pastor that Sunday ends a week of reflection, contemplation, and now a time of exhortation. Monday then becomes the start of the process as I prepare for the next week and especially as I begin to pray and reflect on the coming worship services.

Monday is the time that I begin the process of reading the scriptures that I have focused on. Often when I am doing a sermon series and have chosen the scriptures long in advance, I want to refresh myself and spend time once again reflecting on what is God saying to me today that may be different than when I first choose the passage. I do the same when I preach from the lectionary. Usually with the music director and praise band leader, we look at scriptures over a two to three month basis. Sometimes it is not that long of time and at times when something happens in the life of the church, I may change what I will be preaching.

Monday is the time that I commit to themes and solidifying them for Sunday. Again this can be influenced by what I feel that God is saying to me through prayer, scripture, and through other readings. For instance, this coming Sunday I will be focusing on two scriptures from the lectionary, Acts 16:16-34 and John 17:20-26. In the last few weeks, I have been reflecting on what it means to live the life that Christ calls us to do. I have read several articles and will be reading some recent books about rediscovering the mission Jesus calls us to do. One that I am currently reading is by Mike Slaughter titled "Change the World." I am still in the process of reading this but what struck me and will be a reflection is whether we are to be missional evangelists or attractional evangelists. According to what Slaughter states Jesus was not interested in attracting people but in having his disciples go out into the world. Church is not about attracting people into the church but equipping the church to go into the world to make disciples. As he states and I paraphrase the church's purpose is not to make casual observers but committed disciples.

As I read that and reflect on that and how that can inform the reading particularly in Acts, I am moved by what Paul and Silas were willing to do. They did not stay safely in the synagogue, they were not trying to get people in church, they were willing to go out into the world to proclaim the living gospel of Christ in acts of healing, preaching, and praising in the most difficult and trying situations.

No comments: