Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday musings


Here I am once again at my blog. Nancy and I were just interviewed by a reporter from the Papillion Times to be included in the Springfield News. As we were talking, it did give me a time to reflect on our church and some of the activities that have happened since we arrived. And not just the church but also the work at the library and in the community. There has been some great times and activities and people that we will miss as we begin our new journey in Ainsworth. It is a time of mixed feelings. The sadness of moving and leaving behind family and friends. There is also the anticipation of new challenges and work that God has set before us.

I am reminded of the vows that I took as an Elder in the church. I agreed to be willing to itinerate. So that means that I agree to go where the bishop sends me. Every time that I have moved I have found that God's ministry is present. Last Sunday I preached about trusting and having faith in Christ. It is in that we have our salvation. I humorously suggested that talk shows like Oprah or Dr. Phil will not provide the path of salvation. But neither does membership in a church, status as an elder, or any other position in the local church or general church. It is through what Jesus has done that salvation comes about. And that is extended to all of God's creation whether believed or not.

This Sunday is Pentecost. 50 days following the Passover. Often this is celebrated as the birth of the church. Actually it is the coming of the Holy Spirit that directs the disciples to leave their upper room and to go out into the world as Jesus commissioned them to do. So as we celebrate the coming of the Spirit, I would pray that we would remember that church is more than a building but is a people who have a task to do.

No comments: