Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mother's Day 2

This weekend is often a weekend where flowers and cards are sent throughout the nation and even thoughout the world. There are times that one is so busy that the idea of just sending a card or flowers seems to be the best one can do and at times that is true. But nothing is the same as actually taking the time to spend with family. I want to share this illustration from Homiletics.

A man stopped at a shop to order some flowers to be wired to his mother who lived 200 miles away. As he got out of his car, he noticed a young girl sitting on the curb sobbing. He asked her what was wrong, and she replied, “I wanted to buy a red rose for my mother. But I only have 75¢, and a rose costs $2.”

The man smiled and said, “Come on in with me. I’ll buy you a rose.” He bought the little girl her rose and ordered his own mother’s flowers. As they were leaving, he offered to take the girl home.

She said, “Yes, please! You can take me to my mother.” She directed him to a cemetery, where she placed the rose on a freshly dug grave.

The man returned to the flower shop, canceled the wire order, picked up a bouquet and drove the 200 miles to his mother’s house.

Take time this week to let your loved ones know how much you care for them. Remember those who have returned home to God in prayers and also to remember the legacy that they have given.

No comments: