Tuesday, September 28, 2010

As I am sitting at my desk, I received the latest Power Mail from Serving Strong. I have been working on sermons dealing with Why Church. But I was struck by what Scott had to say about what we say to ourselves. Last Sunday I talked about serving but one of the quotes that I did not use was that we are what we think. Actually I stated we are what we think and do. Certainly how we treat others can be a reflection on how we treat ourselves. Jesus stated from Leviticus 19:8 you are to love your neighbor as you love yourself. Love comes from above. When we do not take time to realize we are loved, we struggle with being able to love (in agape way) others.

Here is the article:
The Well and Tap



A Faucet
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Proverbs 4.23)

We each talk to ourselves. It's true. All day long we are telling ourselves things. You're probably doing it right now.

So what are you saying to yourself? Is it uplifting? Are you an encouragement to yourself? Are you ministering to yourself? Are you treating yourself the way God would treat one of His own children?

I hope you are. Because the truth is, the wellspring of our lives flows from our hearts. Dirty water in the well = dirty water at the tap. We aren't serving strong when we put ourselves down, or tell ourselves lies. Ouch!

This week, I challenge you to record what you tell yourself through out the day. Are you guarding your heart from the inside out? Are you dwelling on Whose you are? Or are you tearing yourself down?

No comments: