Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wednesday


The more that I spend time in my ministry the more I realize what changes have occurred. As I am reflecting on the sermon, I began to spend time wondering about the cost of being a disciple as well as the cost of being a church. We tend to focus so much on how we are to reach the people of the 21st century that sometimes I wonder if we are neglecting the gospel. I firmly believe that we are to present the gospel in ways of reaching the people of today but at the same time we need to be careful not to lose the message that has inspired Christians for centuries.

I love technology, obviously as I am writing a blog, I have a face book page, I have used multi-media in services. Sometimes I wonder if, no matter how important these technological advances are, there is a cost. At the same time I am amazed since I have come to Ainsworth what it means to use media as a means of reaching those who are unable for whatever reasons to come to church. Our late service is broadcast on the local radio station KBRB and at the same time streamed live on their web site www.kbrbradio.com. My best friend can now listen to the service in Lincoln Nebraska some 200 miles away as can others throughout the world. He and I spend time then through the Internet discussing the sermon and the scripture. It is a great opportunity for he and I to chat about our faith.

The use of media has been around a long time with televangelists. The concern I have is that we are called to be the body of Christ and to have time to be together. Modern technology, social networking, and sometimes even worship itself can over emphasize the individual salvation without looking at the continuing work or sanctification. Using technology to reach people is a wonderful tool but it is a means to end and never should be the end in itself.

No comments: