Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday

I often find myself working on two to three sermons at the same time. I try to focus on where I hear God calling and find that I become distracted by off shoots of other thoughts and ideas. I have felt the call to talk about why church is important and that whenever possible one should surround themselves with committed Christians. As I do that, I find myself reflecting on a world that seems only committed to themselves and what they can get for themselves. It seems that somewhere we have lost our way in church, in our world, and even within ourselves. We seem so concerned about me, myself, and I that caring for others has become secondary.

There have been plenty of issues that have been reported in the news that seems to support this idea whether it be politics, business, or even churches. I remember times when people would disagree but would still have respect for those of a differing point of view. Today that common decency seems to be antiquated. Everyone wants to have the spotlight shown on them and they do this by any means possible, whether burning the Qu'ran or protesting at soldiers funerals, or calling people's ideas stupid without ever expressing something that could be an alternative. Greed seems to be the bottom line of many businesses and the witness of the current economic situation certainly points to that.

So where can we find our way back to thinking about the common good of all people? If there is any hope to be found, I believe it will need to come from people who truly live according to the values, principles, and actions that Jesus taught. If we as a church becomes so caught up in trying to be the spotlight of ourselves than we can become like the Pharisees of the gospel stories. It is not about how great we are, but how great God is. Maybe the time has come that the church take on a more prophetic voice of Christ, caring for others, sharing and loving God and our neighbor. So maybe that is where we are called to be. As Paul says in Romans 12:9-21.
Romans 12:9-21 (New Living Translation)

9 Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection,[a] and take delight in honoring each other. 11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.[b] 12 Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. 13 When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. 15 Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all!

17 Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. 18 Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say,

“I will take revenge;
I will pay them back,”[c]
says the Lord.

20 Instead,

“If your enemies are hungry, feed them.
If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap
burning coals of shame on their heads.”[d]

21 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.
I especially like don't think you know it all. I certainly don't and know that I need the Lord in my life. I also believe that we can live in harmony with others without giving up my beliefs and values. I am willing to share my love of Christ but I do that not just with words but in the ways I try to live my life.

No comments: