Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday February 18th 2015.  We are beginning the season of Lent.  It is traditionally a time of reflection, repentance, and prayer as we remember what Jesus did for us.  We journey 40 days in our spiritual lives and discover ways of living out what we learn about ourselves to share the love that we have received.  It is in this journey that we take time to pray, develop spiritual disciplines, worship, fast, and to follow Jesus.  The author of Luke stated that Jesus said, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23)”  This Lent I want to share scripture and reflections in my blog.  The scriptures come from Paul Pennick for Creative Communications for the Parish.  Following the brief reflection, I will add my own thoughts and insights.

For Wednesday the 18th of February, the scripture comes from the gospel of Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18.  This is a traditional scripture for Ash Wednesday.  The brief reflection is “Do not show off.  Keep your prayer between you and our Lord God in heaven.

As you read the scripture, take time to reflect on how we live.  Do we want to have people notice how righteous we are?  When we pray to we drone on and on, trying to impress others?  When we fast or sacrifice for Lent, do we let everyone know what we are doing?

I sometimes find myself spending time boasting about how I do things or the tasks that I have done.  Even at times wanting others to approve of me or be impressed in my sermons or prayers.  Jesus speaks directly to this especially in the Sermon on the Mount.  Rather than trying to please others or to impress others, one should focus on our relationship with God.  In doing so, we can begin to stay away from a sense of self-righteousness.  An excess of words will not impress God but to speak directly from our heart will.

Maybe in this Lenten journey, we should be less concerned about how others perceive us and more concerned about our relationship with God.  Focus first on loving God and working on that relationship and then move to loving one another.

No comments: