Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thursday February 19

Scripture:  Psalm 1:1-4, 6

“Surround yourself with those who delight in the law of the Lord.”

When I was growing up, my parents would often tell me that others would judge me by the company I keep.  I believe they did so to protect me from associating with the “wrong people.”  I was never sure who were the wrong people,  I have always had a strong moral ethic about how I wanted to treat people and how I wanted to be treated.  Not saying that there were times I acted in ways that were not what I wanted.  As Paul says, “Why do I do the things I don’t want to do and don’t do the things I want to do.”  My experience in my life and in counseling and ministry it seems that many of us can identify with these statements.  One of the reasons of being with those who hold to loving God and neighbor helps us in being able to do the things we want to do.

What strikes me this Lent about the Psalm, is not just surrounding myself with those who are like me, but the importance to be open to others who may not be exactly like me.  I also need to be careful with who I listen to.  If I am listening to those who preach divisiveness and hate, who will say anything regardless of spending time dealing with facts, who would rather get their name in the paper or TV with no concern about others, I can be influenced to not think and to not spend time looking at what Jesus taught.  Too many news channels spend more time condemning others who may think differently than them and often would rather argue than provide alternatives to what they are concerned about.  This includes politicians.

Lent is a time to reflect and to think about God and Jesus.  I respect diverse opinions and would hope that those who may think differently than myself would respect me.  It is those who respect and love all of God’s creation, who try to let go of judgment of others, who engage one another in thoughtful dialog that I want to surround myself with.

Who do you surround yourself with?  Are you open to the ways God may be entering your life today?  For me the basic law of God is love.  Where can you show love even to those you disagree with?

Pastor Eldon

No comments: