Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday

Scripture  Matthew 5:43-48

“Perfection  During Lent, remember that we are made perfect in Christ.  This can only happen through him.”

How often we struggle with the concept of being perfect.  This scripture passage talks about love and especially loving our enemies.  If perfection means that I have to love those who hurt and demean me, how can I do that.  Is that what we are talking about and how does that fit with Lent?  This week has focused on our need to repent, judge not, forgive, humble ourselves, pray, and stop holding grudges.  Maybe that is the focus we should be aiming for in our lives.

I know in my life the difficulty one can have in doing the above.  I need to keep in mind it can only happen if I let Christ in my life, my mind, and my heart.  I believe that is what perfection is about.  Not that I can be perfect without fault or sin, but Christ and the Holy Spirit can enable to be more mature in what I do and how I relate to others.  It means to see people as creations of God and that God is the final judge not me.  Rick Warren in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, starts by reminding us “It is not about you.  It is about God.”  There was only one perfect human that was Jesus.  The more we emulate him, the more we become like him.

No comments: