Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday

Luke 5:27-32

“Take up the cross.  This Lent make a renewed commitment to follow Christ’s teachings.”

The term take up the cross has been one that at times has caused me concern.  Just what did Jesus really expect of me and not only me but all who call upon him. Was Jesus asking me to sacrifice everything much like the rich man?  I believe it means that I am willing to leave my comfort zone to be around those that others would despise, disapprove, and/or denigrate.  Jesus in the scripture above approaches those that the Pharisees feel are unworthy.

29 Soon Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi's fellow tax collectors and other guests were there.
30 But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus' disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with such scum?"
31 Jesus answered them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor-- sick people do.
32 I have come to call sinners to turn from their sins, not to spend my time with those who think they are already good enough."

Maybe picking up the cross means not to follow blindly what others think or say, but to commit myself to the teachings of Christ.  This Lent can be a time for all of us to self examine whether or not we seek righteousness or are we feeling self-righteous.  Let’s join together to leave our comfort zones and dare to do what seems impossible to do except through the power of Christ.

No comments: