Friday, August 21, 2020

Credo 8-21b

 

Credo 8-21-2020 b

Somehow, I wrote the last update in the future. This is what one gets when retired, a time-space loop. Hopefully, I have found my place in this time and space. Today I wanted to share another insight from William Coffin. “Truth is always in danger of being sacrificed on the altar of taste and social stability (pg. 35).” It took some time to reflect on what he said and how that might apply to my life. I did not have to reflect long as I was reading that the number of Covid cases has gone up especially in the opening of classes. The church that I served in Brown County had their first community spread of Covid.

It brought to mind how people were concerned about shutting down public gatherings to try to limit the spread of Covid. How people felt that it infringed on their rights to be forced to wear masks in public places and even some who claimed that the bible supported their thinking. I have seen some churches despite public safety have crowded worship services with almost no one wearing masks or any protective gear. I saw pictures of the Sturgis rally where thousands gathered with no social distancing or masks. I cannot help but think that there were a number of people in both crowds who were infected and passed that on to others they were near with no regard on how that would affect others. As political figures debated how to be safe in reopening places of gathering, I know that the decision would be and has been difficult.

The question I have is, are we sacrificing the truth on the altar of social stability? Covid is real and is contagious. It can cause long term complications and death of all age groups. The truth is that this virus is here to stay, even if the numbers of infection decrease. The truth is that there are measures that seem to limit exposure such as wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. I know that whenever I go out (which is rare), I always wear a mask. For those who feel that in infringes their freedoms, what about me and my family. Do we not also have rights to be safe and not be exposed? Do churches and congregations have the right to be safe and not be exposed and to not expose their loved ones? When does the social good outweigh the individual? These are difficult questions of which we all struggle. For those who feel that God will protect them, remember when the devil tempted Christ to leap from the top of the wall of the Temple. Jesus replied, “It is said, ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test’” (Luke 4:12).

In the footnotes of my Wesleyan Study Bible, here is what it says. “Wesley recognized that the most dangerous temptations are often subtle appeals to spiritual pride cloaked in poor interpretation of Scripture like the one used by the devil here. Jesus overcomes temptation by drawing on Scripture, the primary means of grace in Wesleyan theology (1245).”

My prayers are for those who disregard common sense, who do not listen to those who understand better, and that they or their loved ones remain disease free. I pray that people are willing to hear what we know and don’t know about issues without dismissing them out of hand. I pray that, as Wesley stated in the 3 General Rules, the first is to do no harm. This can apply to Covid, racial tensions, human sexuality, to any number of social concerns before us. Let us go back to what Coffin had said, hitch ourselves to the post of love.

Shalom.

 

No comments: