Saturday, August 29, 2020

Reflections 8/29/2020

 

                I am writing about some of the recent events that have happened in the last week. To say our nation is in turmoil is an understatement. It is not just the natural disasters, but also the propensity of our nation to violence which in my estimation can be evil. To top that off, those who could speak up about the violence focus on the wrong things. I want to clarify that I am not just referring to the police or military, but to all people. We glorify violence as a means to resolve differences. We have political campaign that do not seek to understand the injustices that many of our citizens face each day but focus on continuing to promote more violence and more restrictions of those who are marginalized in our society.

                Edmund Burke stated, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [sic} to do nothing.” I am concerned about how our nation is addressing the treatment of those who have little to no voice. This is not just an issue of right vs. left, republican vs. democrat, conservative vs. progressive, this is an issue of us, you and me. We can deplore violence and yet support BLM. We can support police officers and deplore that actions of a few. We can protest and deplore the wanton destruction of property (though I can certainly emphasize in the anger).  This is not an issue of 2nd amendment right, as misunderstood as they are, and registration of guns. This is an issue of the future of our nation and of our children’s children.

                I continue to read some of the texts from seminary. One of my favorite theologians was Jurgen Moltmann. I am reading his book “In the End—The Beginning: the life of hope.” In the chapter title, Does the future belong to the Young?,  he talks about his youth. He grew up in Germany during the reign of Hitler. He described that all children and youth were forced into such groups as the Hitler Youth. He, too, was forced and indoctrinated into the Hitler Youth. What he came to understand was, “The nationalization of young people we experienced in the dictatorships of the twenties century dispossessed children in their childhood and destroyed their youth. The youth cult of modern dictators did not open up a future for the young, it destroyed that future. Because dictators permit no innovative future, they deny the whole of society its chance for renewal (pg. 25).” I started to think about what that would look like today and what I saw was the image of a 17-year-old with a rifle that had murdered two people.

                What made me reflect and saddened me, was that this youth has been so indoctrinated that he would throw away his future and his life for what? It also saddened me to see how certain commentators of a particular news agency seemed to condone his actions. I wonder is this youth at any time realized that what he had done was wrong. Was he capable of understanding to fight against what he had been taught? And it is not just youth, though they are more susceptible, but others who justify their actions based on their misconception of the truth of love. How does the images and sound bites affect our children? Does fear permeate our nation? What is the answer to these questions? Where is justice?

                I may not have the answers, but I hope that I am one of the good people who will stand against injustice and evil. I may not be able to protest injustice, but I can support. As I take time to reflect, I can be in prayer for those who are marginalized, for those in power to open their eyes and to seek justice.

                I am going to close with this, “With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on High? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousand of rams, with ten thousands rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O mortal what is good: and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God (Micah 6:6-8)? My prayer is that I and you do all we can to seek justice, to show and share kindness, and most of all walk humbly with God.

Shalom.

               

No comments: