Sunday, August 16, 2020

Daily Credo 8/16/2020

 

Credo 8/16/2020

                I am writing this to post on Facebook, my blog at reveldon.blogspot.com, and twitter. As I read that which is posted, it is easy to become discouraged, disheartened, and depressed often leading to anger at the way we treat one another, the lack of love we have for God and others if not ourselves. I fear that we have lost the heart of the gospel of Jesus. We, and I include myself, have become a nation of selfishness and more concerned about what benefits only myself. I see this in all levels of government that have lost the ideals of Abraham Lincoln of being for the people and of the people. Maybe this pandemic has made these concerns more apparent. The racial divide, the abject poverty, the lack of consideration of the lives of others with this virus, seems to become almost like a cancer if one would depend on social media. I cannot count the number of times I have deleted reposts from people that have never taken the time to find out the truth of the issues. And because for some it is so inconvenient to do the simple things such as wearing masks, hundreds of thousands of people die.

                As I am writing, I recognize that I am as those that I condemn. I, too, can be as judgmental as others. I, who have born as a white male into a life of privilege, can act without awareness towards others in ways that donot exemplify Christ. I just ask for forgiveness for those times. I pray that my eyes be opened to see that BLM because of the suffering and history of the way people were treated. To love those that I find unlovable. To love those who only preach hatred, greed, and who are so dogmatic that they lose sight of the gospel. To love those who are different than I and to respect their differences without demonizing them. To pray for those who put their lives on the line to protect us on the streets, in our homes, and in our hospitals as well as care centers.

                Just when my discouragement reaches the peak, I decided to read or reread some of the books that I kept from seminary or bought during annual conferences. The very first one I decided to read was “Credo” by William Sloan Coffin.  Rev. Coffin was ordained in the Presbyterian Church and later in the United Church of Christ. He was a chaplain at Yale University where the influence of H. Richard Niebur’s social philosophy led him to become a leader in the Civil Rights movement and the peace movements of the 1960’s and 1970’s. He was an ardent supporter of gay rights. He died in 2006. The book contains segments of his sermons, his published and unpublished writings. The chapters are titled Faith. Hope, Love; Social Justice and Civil Liberties; Social Justice and Economic Rights; Patriotism; War and Peace; Nature; Life in General; The Church; and The End of Life. I would encourage those who are interested to purchase the book if available. I would like to share some of the quotes daily. I hope to do so without infringing on copyright but as an alternative to what we hear predominately in social media.

                The first couple come from the chapter of Faith, Hope, Love that is based on Cor. 13:13.

Make love your aim, not biblical inerrancy, nor purity nor obedience to holiness codes.  Make  love your aim, for

‘Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels’—musicians, poets, preachers, you are being addressed;

‘and though I … understand all mysteries, and knowledge’—professors, your turn,

‘and though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor’—radicals take note;

‘and though I give my body to be burned’—the very stuff of heroism;

‘and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing’ (I Cor. 1-3).

I doubt if in any other scriptures of the world thee is a more radical statement of ethics. If we fail in love, we fail in all things else.”

As I close this, one may call a rant, I want to add this from Coffin. “Of God’s love we can say two things: it poured out universally for everyone from the Poe to the loneliest wino on the planet; and secondly, God’s love doesn’t seed value, it creates value. It is not because we have value that we are loved, but because we are loved that we have value. Our value is a gift, not an achievement.” I hope that this may help in this time.

Shalom                                

 

 

No comments: