Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday

I have no real title for my blog today. This past weekend I spent almost 21 hours with a confirmation class on a retreat to begin their confirmation journey. It was the most fun time getting to know these young people. One thing that struck me was their energy and enthusiasm and their creativity. I am looking forward to the time we have together for the rest of the year. So when it came to Sunday needless to say I was tired as I am not as young as I once was.
Sunday I was preaching on the Luke gospel that talked about being a disciple and whether or not one is willing to pay the cost to finish what one starts. I know that I am a person who has started many things and sometimes leaves several projects half done. For those who are aware of the Meyers Briggs Inventory I am an INFP which translates out to being an introvert, intuitive, feeling, and perceptive personality. What that means in real life is that I love my alone time, I have some ability to intuit people, I make decisions mostly based on my values, and I tend to be at times spontaneous and disorganized. One has to go into my office to see what that means or better my play room in the basement. I am a visionary and can see possibilities that others may not notice. Sometimes it is difficult to get things completed so I need people around me that are organized.
What all of this has to do with the gospel is that I have to work at paying the cost to see something through to the end. I know that there are others and my point in my sermon is that enthusiasm is not enough to make sure things are completed. That was what Jesus was concerned about with those who were following him. That is true with us today. I am looking forward to this Sunday as we begin to look at the way we can follow through is by the grace of God. More later.

No comments: