Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Reflection on Jeremiah

As I was studying the scriptures for Sunday, I came across two different reflections that seem to work together. One is from "Awaken" and the other is from "This Day," by Laurence Stookey. I would suggest before reading further take out your Bible and read Jeremiah 8.18-19.1. Read the passage slowly allowing the lament to deepen in your mind and soul. I can hear the anguish the writer has about what he has seen and the way people are reacting. Can you not hear the cries even today as to where is God? The cries of feeling forsaken and yet not realizing that they are the ones who have rejected their relationship and covenant with God. It is not divine retribution but humans turning their back on what God has ordained.
According to "Awaken," "The key element of the passage is one of utter loss and devastation, a relationship that has gone terribly wrong. God and the people are no longer united, this is a reality. God is not present in Zion because the people have driven God away, figuratively, and this has resulted in the people's banishment. They turned their backs on God and now wonder why they cannot see God." This was written during the exile as the people attempted to understand why they were enslaved. Throughout the prophets the people were told that they were pursuing idols and false gods. They would not listen and now the consequences of their choices has happened to them. Typical they still do not see how they have contributed to the very problems that they have created. Not much has changed in the thousands of years later. Humans still pursue false gods and idols and then when things go wrong want to blame God for their own choices despite being aware of what God has ordained both here and through Jesus Christ. The cry for healing is great among the people then and today. So what are we to do?
Laurence Stookey writes for the 15th day of the month in "This Day," advice that we can use to reflect on in our own lives. "Ask yourself these questions. When an honest answer is not to your liking, ask God for the strength and wisdom to improve.
What have I done in the past two weeks to help others: to console the distraught, to assist the weak, to guide the confused, and so on?
What have I done to alleviate the larger causes of human suffering: to seek justice, to advance humane treatment of all, to overcome oppression and exploitation of the weak, to speak up in the defence of those who were misrepresented or mistreated?
Have I participated in the weekly worship of the congregation?
Have I received the Supper of the Lord?
If so, has it been for me since then a sign of the presence and power of the risen Lord in our midst?
How faithful have I been in daily devotions, and what benefit have I received from these that has strengthened me for service to others?
In these devotions, have I remembered those for whom prayers were asked in congregational worship?
Does fasting or abstinence in an appropriate form commend itself to me today?"

I was caught with how these two seem to integrate with one another. For if I would take the time to do what Stookey recommends, I would not turn my back on God or pursue false idols. And when I fall short, I need to take time to ask God for the strength and wisdom to improve. Where might you be? Are you lamenting or complaining? Or are you making a difference by acting faithfully in what God has called us to do?

No comments: