Thursday, September 13, 2007

What to think with the next pot luck

Every once in awhile, I come across an article that I think is insightful and want to share with those who might read my blog. This came from UMNexus who sends me their information through the email. The subscription is free if you are interested in receiving this. I copied an article about Methodist Pot Lucks that I think we should seriously read and to reflect on. It was an eyeopener for me especially as I am trying to lose a few pounds and have to watch my calorie and sugar intake. Read and if you have time reply.
My Big Fat Church Supper ReduxBy Cynthia B. Astle
Oh, those potluck church suppers! Thinking of all that comfort food laid out on long tables makes a faithful United Methodist's mouth water. We even joke that instead of the cross-and-flame, our official denominational logo ought to be a casserole dish.And yet … Let's face it, friends, we all need to eat healthier. Better nutrition is an especially critical situation for our beloved clergy, who've been found to be among some of the most unhealthy professionals on the planet – a combination of too much stress, too little exercise and yes, those Big, Fat Church Suppers.How critical is it? Let's take a look at the caloric intake of a traditional church supper consisting of fried chicken, green bean casserole, potato salad, molded gelatin salad, coleslaw (see a theme emerging?), apple pie and chocolate cake (because we don't want to hurt someone's feelings by not trying their dessert).
Fried chicken (1 piece) 905 calories
Green bean casserole (1/2 cup) 120 calories
Potato salad (1/2 cup) 340 calories
Molded gelatin salad (1/2 cup) 180 calories
Coleslaw (1/2 cup) 110 calories
Apple pie (1/6 of 8-inch pie) 280 calories
Chocolate cake (1/16 slice) 280 calories
GRAND TOTAL 2115 calories
There you go – one plate of church potluck and you won't have to eat again that Sunday. Take seconds, or double portions, and you won't have to eat on Monday, either. Note that this menu doesn't include rolls or sweetened iced tea – another 258 calories for one dinner roll and another 50 calories in tea with two rounded teaspoons of sugar.What's a congregation to do? Eating together, from the ritual feast of the Eucharist to the feast of the fellowship table, is a bedrock cultural practice of church. Can we keep the tradition and have our angel food cake, too? Here are some ideas from two UM NeXus readers, both clergywomen, who responded to our recent invitation to talk about My Big, Fat Church Supper.Rev. Helen Dukes: “I was very thin until I became a pastor. Nevertheless, I served one church that made sense. There were many diabetics in the congregation and at all the events the food served took on a health quality, from veggies and dip replacing cookies to sugar-free deserts. We just need to learn to care about the health of one another and not feed our sweet tooth and ego instead. It’s a matter of love instead of indulgence, remembering that sharing table fellowship (especially communion) is a part of our Christian bonding process.”Rev. Nancy A. Carter: "I have been concerned for a long time about the 'food culture' seen in most congregations, gatherings of United Methodist Women, and so on. A couple of decades (or more) ago, when I was in my 30s, I tried to maintain a very healthy diet in the midst of the church and broader culture. I would call ahead to places where I was going to meetings and send written information about my diet, to mixed results. Finally, after a few years and as I went to pastor a church for the first time, I gave up on the diet. If I had stayed with my eating 'discipline,' I would be much healthier now -- I know that."1. When a dish contains a variety of ingredients, all of these should be listed on a note card that accompanies the dish. Not only might this help folk thinking about calories but those who have allergies or conditions like celiac sprue. When hosting small groups at my home, I have either done this or verbally told them what is in various dishes."2. We need to take into account not only our health but that of others beyond our household or neighborhood. Often what may not be healthy or as healthy for us to eat/drink is not healthy for other people, animals, and/or the environment. In our eating habits, we need to look at products that come are Fair Trade, organic, locally grown, etc. -- how can we help not only ourselves but others. Where did that coffee, sugar, chocolate come from? How was it produced? Who benefited? Did anyone suffer [from this food production]?"3. John Wesley encouraged fasting . . .'Wesley was convinced that fasting, abstaining from food or drink, was a practice firmly grounded in the Bible. People in Old Testament times fasted (Ezra 8:23). So did Jesus and his followers (Matthew 4:2; Acts 13:3), and Wesley saw no reason why modern Christians should not follow the same pattern. His plan of fasting sometimes allowed for limited eating and drinking. He found that fasting advanced holiness.' (Page 33, "John Wesley: Holiness of Heart and Life" by Charles Yrigoyen, Jr.)"4. Some of my suggestions imply that educating ourselves and congregations may be needed -- not only about obvious things like nutrition but also to put it in the context of how it fits in the broader picture of holy living and 'moving on to perfection.' Congregational responses might lead them into unanticipated areas. I mentioned Fair Trade but also we know, for example, that eating disorders can be related to experiences of childhood abuse. Then there is that other big issue of poverty and hunger -- not only 'overseas,' but in our own neighborhood. What we eat and why does not happen in isolation."Note the spiritual depth of these two responses: Helen's "it's about love, not indulgence," and Nancy's "diet discipline" and "fasting." Could we get any more Wesleyan about our food culture than to prepare our dishes with the idea of "watching over one another in love" when potluck suppers roll around? Is your congregation fostering healthier choices in life?

No comments: