Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Traveling

There is something about the idea of traveling that excites me. Getting in the car and driving particularly is my time of meditation. Seeing new sights and trying new ways of journeying, I find myself becoming more relaxed. That is until the driver beside me cuts me off in traffic. Can't zone out to much.
Often when I travel, I will find myself getting off at the wrong exit or taking an unexpected detour. Sometimes these can lead to an undiscovered treasure. So far this trip I have not had that happen but who knows I still have a week and a half to find out. Needless to say Nancy and I made it safely to Indiana Pennsylvania. We didn't arrive at the time that I thought we would but, Thank God for the travel mercies, we arrived safely.
As we were driving, both of us were aware of the changing environment that surrounded us. As we began to head into the hills of Ohio and Pennsylvania, there are so many differing trees and vegetation compared to Nebraska. Also the corn here is not ready for harvest being still somewhat green. I was a joy to get hugs from my grandchildren and to wake up and see them off to school and day care.
I enjoy traveling and can understand how the writers of scripture would use the analogy of journey to be important to understanding how God works. From Genesis, to the Gospels, and especially in Acts, the theme of traveling takes on meaning about what God is doing in our lives. Every time that we travel we should remember that in the journey God is present to us to share with those who are around us. Whether we travel to distant states or just commute to work, God is present and we need to take time to remember what God has done in other journeyers and what God is doing in our lives.

No comments: