Thursday, September 20, 2007

Praying for everyone

The texts for this Sunday certainly present a challenge from Jeremiah, to the parable in Luke of the shrewd (dishonest) manager, and even the text from 1 Timothy. I have been struggling about where I wanted to focus on for my sermon. I will be using the text from 1 Timothy. I have talked with others who will be presenting on Jeremiah with the harvest theme and we are not yet saved and the shrewd or dishonest manager. Where I struggle with the Luke story is that we live in such ages of dishonest managers that it would be easy to twist the story to vindicate their dishonesty and their criminal behavior by saying they were only being shrewd. Not is not the point of the parable and it is a parable. Still I am struggling with preaching on this and since I am planning on leaving for vacation Sunday afternoon, I wanted to do something different.
So I chose 1 Timothy which is not without its controversy. Because the author (supposedly Paul) states that we should be praying for everyone, including our political leaders. It seems that it may be easy to pray for those of one's particular party at least here in the United States, it is more difficult to pray for those in the opposite party. Rather we tend to qualify our prayers. There are even those who pray for unfortunate events to occur. Much like some people praying for the death of various leaders throughout the world. Some have even demonized political opponents which not only creates character doubts for the opponents but also on those who would resort to such things. The author states rather we should pray for their well-being.
There is a Jewish story about God and a farmer. God promises to the farmer to grant what he wants but that what ever he asks he will give double to his neighbor. The farmer asks for 100 cattle and God gives him his wish and his neighbor received 200. The farmer than asks for 100 acres of land and he gets his wish. His neighbor receives 200 acres. The farmer becomes upset that his neighbor receives more than what he has. So he asks for his last wish that God would strike him blind in one eye. And God wept.
I know that sometimes I too can be envious of others and at times be angry. Rather than praying for my benefit I need to pray mostly for those with whom I disagree, whom I envy for their continuing success, for those who are critical, and even with the leaders with whom I disagree. My prayers need to be for them to lift them up and to heal my spirit. Today think about those to whom you need to pray not just family, friends, church members but for your enemies for their health and for them to become closer to Jesus.

No comments: