Wednesday, December 5, 2007

God's dream for creation

Tonight we will be having our first Advent dinner followed by a short meditation and communion. This is the first Wednesday following the start of Advent and we will be doing for the next two weeks a dinner and reflection each Wednesday. Tonight I will be using the dream that Joseph after he found out that Mary was pregnant. I can only imagine what he must have felt about the situation. Rather than acting out of jealousy or revenge, he choose instead to try to honor Mary and not make a big deal out of the situation. I can only imagine that many would consider him a fool for making that decision both with his family and friends.
When he had this dream, he without hesitation did what the angel told him to do. He risked his reputation, his being seen as righteous by the religious community, and even being seen as cut off from the people. His dream stretched him beyond himself to be willing to raise God's son as his own. To love him and teach him the carpentry trade and support him without question. Not many are willing or able to do that. I have known many step-parents who have done well with raising children that they were not the biological parent. It requires a special effort to go beyond one's natural inclinations to be unconditionally supportive. We do not have any stories about Jesus' childhood though what we have would indicate a father who was caring and supportive.
Dreams have a way of helping us in times such as those that Joseph faced. I wonder how many of us would unconditionally do what a dream would say to us. I know my tendency would be to analyze the dream often to death rather than trust it explicitly. Yet scripture points out how dreams have been given to people as messages from God. As I reflect on this Christmas season, I feel that the birth of Jesus was God's great dream for creation and its redemption. I would invite others to dream the big dreams and be willing to act on your dreams. That is why I am now a pastor. For God had a dream for me and no matter how hard I tried to avoid the dream, I finally was willing to live the dream that God had for me. I have never regretted that decision even when others questioned my choice. But I know that it is through God that I am able to do what I do and to God be the glory.

No comments: