Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tragedy At Westroads

I like many others in Omaha are in shock about the tragic events that occurred yesterday at Westroads a major shopping center. I did not find out about it until I went to a store to get something for my grand daughters. I could not believe that this would happen here despite the number of homicides that have occurred this year in the Metro area. This was different and one of the worst spree murders this year at any mall in the United States. What shocks me the most is the senselessness of the event. For a young man who was suicidal to go and kill 8 others and then himself, just defies rational explanation.
Needless to say what I was going to talk about at our Advent services was changed. We spent time praying for the families of those whose lives were taken, those who were wounded, all those who were there just to do Christmas shopping for their families, to the first responders and police and fire department, all the other employees of the store where this occurred, and finally for the young perpetrator and his family. While we may never understand why this occurred, we turn to God to remember that it is in precisely these times that God's promises to be with us always helps sustain us. Even for the many who did not witness these events directly, we need to come together in prayer and to reach out to those who have been most effected.
Sometimes we do not even know the extent of the tragedy. What brought home to me even though I was not at Westroads, was when my daughter in Pennsylvania called me to find out if I was ok and if my son her brother and family were ok. The anxiety of occasions such as this strike at us all reminding us of our need of the Prince of Peace in our lives.
Please remember all who were so affected by this tragedy. Take a moment to be in silence for the families. Then let us do what we can to comfort those who need comfort and to reach out to those who are need of love and support.

No comments: