Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I have been continuing to follow the stories of the families of the tragedy at Westroads. I was moved by the tributes that have been left at Von Mahr. Also the fund that has been established for the families of the victims. We also need to remember not just those whose lives were taken but also their co-workers and their needs as well. As of today the store remains closed. I am concerned that the workers there have no income or help to deal with their grief. I may be wrong but I hope that as people continue to reach out to others that they are included in our thoughts and prayers.
This is the season that teaches us about reaching out. Whether it is God providing lamp oil that was only enough for one day and lasted seven or the prophets who spoke of God's love or celebrating God coming to us, God has always found ways of providing for us. Today that is as true as it was back then. We are reminded of our need to have God's presence in our lives. One can look around not just here in Omaha but in our nation and world. We need to remember our need for God in our lives. Also we need to remember to share that love with others.
Yesterday the World Herald published a picture of our youth and their fund raiser. Unfortunately they did not write about all the other work that they have done. I had a person call dismayed by the picture. I listened to her opinion and while I did not agree with it I realized that we need to treat each other without judgment or at least find out the whole story before judging. When I first heard of the Westroads, one person immediately said it was probably a Muslim. I remember that when the bombing at Oklahoma City happened the press initially said the same thing. How quick we are to judge and not look at our own "log in our eyes." When we live in a world of anxiety and terror, that is when we are most vulnerable to making quick judgments. It is why we need Jesus and what he said about being anxious. I worry less about terrorists than I do about the lack of health care for the poor, poor education and the resultant lack of opportunities, the hungry and homeless. This is the season to remember those who are in need. To give into our anxiety and paranoia will not solve anything and actually could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Spend time this season with your family and share what God has given you with others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I heard that VonMahr is still paying salaries but not tips so while they are still geting something, they are probably still felling the pinch.

snap judgements are always the easiest decision but when is the "easy" way ever the wise path?